The English Cemetery in Málaga has been declared to be the first constructed in Spain for the British colony.
The Governing Council has agreed inscribing the cemetery in the General Catalogue of Andalucía Historical Heritage, under the category of Monument.
The cemetery was the inspiration and concern of William Mark who was British Consul in Málaga between 1824 and 1836.
In the eight years he had lived in Málaga before accepting the post of British Council he saw ‘with great disgust’ how Protestants were buried upright on the local beach.
One of the first occupants of the cemetery was a young Briton, Robert Boyd, who was shot on the beach in Málaga in 1831 after accompanying the liberal General Torrijos in his pretentions to install a constitutional regime.
Due to Mark's efforts, a Royal Decree was issued by Fernando VI on April 11 1830, handing over the land for the cemetery to the British Government to solve the problems which the numerous British colony attracted by trade and industry to the city had.
William Marks persistence brought the site with permission to create a walled cemetery on the Velez road which was, at the time, outside the city walls.
It now covers 8,000m and contains more than 1,000 graves.
Many consider it to be a botanical garden where unusual specimens of three and plants can be found.
During the years 1839-40 what was called at the time was ‘lodge temple’ was a classical style small chapel where the cemetery guard lived. With fine Doric columns it was extend in 1890 to become the present day St George’s Anglican Church.
In 1856 a Gatehouse in a Gothic style was constructed at the entrance of the cemetery.
For many years it was the home of the gardener and in 2005 it was renovated and it now houses a small Visitors’ Centre.
News from http://www.typicallyspanish.com